Sunday, July 02, 2006

SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW .11




SMMR.jpg



This week has been quite revealing. I discovered new devils on this new level of insight and inspiration.

If you've not been following these reviews on a regular basis, (...where have you been... I'm kidding.., well, not really...), much has been going on in the way of discovering music that heals and reveals and it's been teaching me patience as I've had to take the time to listen to these songs in quite reflection. In the course of that listening, I've developed an even deeper love for artists who truly lay their heart and souls open for all to experience. These songs and artists are tremendously important to the evolution of this planet and have valuable life lessons to share, whether that was their original intention or not as they sat down to write and then record their tunes. The new devils I speak about are reflected in the discovery that while so many of the artists that I love are truly battling to remain artists of integrity, at every turn, there's someone offering them some short term benefit for a lifetime of commitment and servitude and they're challenged to remain true to their callings, while so often 'needing' the very help they relunctantly must say 'no' to. I'm hopeful, however, that Goodness and Mercy will prevail... and I'm determined to stay at this post, drawing attention to those artists and their songs that got me through another week of challenges and changes. This SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW has some delightfully energetic contributions 'cause I just feel we need to get 'moving' this week and shake off these dark clouds that's been hoovering, too long. And, if you happen to stomp on a devil or two.., in the immortal words of ERNESTO.., well, the Devil's Gotta Run.



"Run, run, run, run, devils..."



Brother EDEN Douglas

New York, New York


justLISTEN


1. THIS IS SUE


I love finding new music. And the fact that I'm not paid to do it, allows it to remain a passion that's driven by my instinctive need to 'heal myself' and every now and then there's a tune that harmonically gets to me.., and just makes me want to spend time with the artist that 'heard' these sounds, this way.., and ask them, 'do you know what you've created'? THIS IS is a great tune, full of insightful lyrics and is sang with emotion and passion by it's lead singer, Skip Danko, but it's the instrumentation that you'll certainly pay attention to. Milan East on Bass, Synth and Rhodes, Enno Lengert on Guitar and Kontrabass and Thilko Rassau on Guitar have all contributed to the sound that goes to make up this Hamburg based band named SUE. On their official site, http://www.gowithsue.com/ another artist is listed, Erik Seemann on Schlagzeug (forgive my lack of adequate translation at this writing, but it's percussive, I believe, in nature) but little else is there to tell you 'their stories'. So, once again, the music draws me, not the pedigree. Just listen to THIS IS and discover a balm for your soul to begin this week of listening....


2. ART of WAR
UNIVERSAL TONGUES


This song has opened my heart and soul up the possibilities of what dance music can really do. There's thousands of individuals in collective dance clubs across the world that are moving and grooving almost nightly and I'm discovering a group of artists and DJ's (of which I believe I will soon be one) that are using their crafts to really open the hearts and minds up of those that will be making a difference in the years to come. To heal our ecology, our politics, our religions.., music will play a signifcant role and on the forefront of that awakening is the production team known as UNIVERSAL TONGUES. I had to really search to find out the details of this group, as there's no info on the MySpace page, or their main site.., but if you've been underground, mainly in the world of House and Club music, you've most likely already been introduced to them. The ART of WAR from the 2002 release Natural Resouce release, HYPOTHESIS features lyrics and vocals by TOUSSAINT, with production credits by UT's DJ FRAN, The DARRON and ERIC. I welcome all posts that will enlighten me further as to who these artists are and what an impact they're having (and have already had) on their listeners. I'm aware that this tune has to be quite significant in the marketplace for it's subject matter, but even more distinctly for it's courage to 'say more' within this artform.


3. BAHIAN TRANCE
JOAQUIN JOE CLAUSSELL


To truly get the significance of JOE CLAUSSELL and what he's doing with sound.., you must listen to BAHIAN TRANCE and experience it's intricate rhythms of world instruments in this dance artform. But to fully get the impact of his artistry, however, do take a trip through his offical site, http://www.sacredrhythmmusic.net/ , an audio-visual experience into his mind and soul. This is another prime example of how one can follow their spirits into the artform they do best.



4. LIFE RAIN


These grooves are designed to transport you, while you dance into that sacred place... and this DJ, known simply as RAIN is just another artist I want to honor in this blog about music that elevates. Listen to the Rhythm of Rain in LIFE I and II


5. LIVE from DEEP
MARQUES WYATT


Without a doubt, the undisputed leader of spiritually based grooves might just be MARQUES WYATT. His bio is extensive and you can read it in depth on his MySpace page, as well as offsite at http://www.deep-la.com/ He has quite a following, it would appear, for those rare appearances and nights of solo spins on the DJ table in his club, DEEP, in LA. I honor this tune as he educates throughout his rhythms with knowledge in this evolution of 'House Music', chiding and reminding those that are dancing, while they're dancing, to come out of denial into the truth of who they are, not the illusions that can be so easily fostered in the environment of the clubs. How significant is it for one of the most sought after DJ/Producers to take the posture of a teacher, at the height of his career. I applaud his courage and the depth of his conviction. Now go groove, to LIVE from DEEP, part One and Two.




...I'm out, till the same time, next week.


justBELIEVE



No comments: