Friday, August 01, 2008

an`EDENview: inthe SPOTLIGHT - LALAH HATHAWAY

I've been thinking all day that I've needed to say something, but didn't quite know what was brewing beneath the surface. I think I have words now, thanks to Lalah Hathaway, the talented daughter of the late, great, Donny Hathaway.



I've been listening to Lalah's latest release, Self-Portrait and the more I listen to the musicality (and the lyrics), I'm beginning to believe again, in R&B music. I must admit that after the untimely death of Donny H. and Phyllis Hyman, I haven't truly cared about any of the artists on the horizon for all seem derivatives of those two greats. What they brought to a lyric had NEVER been heard (or felt) before and for my money, since.., 'till now. I think Rahsaan Paterson is a genius, but this article is not about him, as much as I love what he's done, he's never moved me like this. It's not lost on me that this gem of a release is genetically linked to one of those incredible sources of inspiration. I can't begin to describe to you what this CD might mean to the future of R&B but I can bet you it's going to be a wake up call to many who consider themselves artists in this genre.

Here's what I suggest.., if you've ever listened to either of the artists I mentioned as the ultimate inspirations, you owe it to yourself to get onto iTunes, or to the nearest CD store..., and get this CD and listen through it, with your favorite drink, or on your favorite drive.., or with your best friend.., and be prepared to go back in time, when the music mattered so much, we would take off work to get the album, shut the door, take the phone off the hook and listen with our full souls engaged for the moments that were sure to come when we knew that our favorite artist had not only written about us and our troubles.., but had written to us, specifically. It was a cosmic experience, then and Lalah has done it for this writer, again.

THANK YOU for making a believer out of me and for healing my soul of the loves lost and distant and gone too soon. Remember these sentiments when you get to ON YOUR OWN.

Peace, Dear Friends.

EDENintheDESERT

WHAT GOES AROUND...

No comments: