Friday, June 30, 2006

SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW .9


SMMR.jpg


I have great respect for songwriters.., maybe even a little bit more than I do for vocalists. The juxtaposition of words in the melody and the choice of words, even more so, can make a good song, great. This blog this week is really about the songwriters.. and in most cases, they and the artist are the same and what a treat you're in for in this abbreviated edition of SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW.


Brother EDEN Douglas

New York, New York


BEAT UP OLD HOBO
DEREK KEHLER - EAST VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA


I know that you think you know my 'style' of music and you might be correct in some of your assumptions. But if the truth be told, I have more in common with todays' opening song stylings than might first appear. I was born in the rural Texas and I never got FM radio till I was in my late teens, so Motown and all the 'soul' music that most have grown up on was only on the stereo and seldom on television in my childhood. What I heard, daily, was southern gospel, country, blue grass and folk music on AM radio. I learned (and still know) lyrics to some of the strangest tunes, and trust me, learning this one has been my joy, this week. I make no bones about it.., I love this song and how it tells such an honest tale and as you're listening, you'll think, 'there but by the grace of God, go I'. Mr. Kehler has given us a very timeless reading of his lyrics and the comparisons abound to all the great troubadors of yesteryear. I won't mention them, 'cause it'll distract from such a young man singing in what is truly his own unique and distinctive voice, and to saddle him with comparisons will lessen his important contribution to the art craft. This gift of lyric and delivery really can't be 'taught', this style of writing and singing has to simply be felt and those that do it well, should be honored as masters of their craft. Ladies and Gentlemen, prepare for a particularly appropriate song on this Father's Day edition of SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW. I'm honored to get to introduce to you one of the best artists I've had the pleasure of listening to. I bet you're gonna feel the same. I present, BEAT UP OLD HOBO...


~:~




Byron Isaacs, Tony Leone, Amy Helm, Fiona McBain, Glenn Patscha


SummerStage NYC


a REVIEW



Singing, as if enraptured.., this ensemble is really special. Their blend is a touch of southern comfort soul and down home gospel, the kind that used to raise the dead on a hot Saturday night tent meeting. You do yourself a favor to experience this multi-instrumental tour-de-force of raw talent and adept skill. Vocalists, one and all, you will be amazed at the textures the different blends of the individual voices create as they harmonize seemingly from another plane, always landing in and around the chord. Ollabelle is truly a delight and a perfect way to have spent a warm Saturday in the city. Every song had it's own signature and harmonic stamp and it's difficult to single out a precious moment of the many. Just listen to them on their MySpace page, and be sure to catch them in performance the next chance you can.



~:~



Like I said, in the beginning.., this isn't my normal review. These two artists represent the best of a particular style of writing so that to add any more would be in poor taste. I personally feel. Just listen to them, honor them for their craft and I'll be here again, next week with more music that got me through another week of trials and tribulations. Promise.


justBELIEVE

Teddy ThompsonOllabelleSummerstageRhett MillerOllabelleVerve Forecast

No comments: