Friday, June 30, 2006

SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW .10




SMMR.jpg



There's an overwhelming, ever growing list of independent artists, and believe it or not, many are finding their way, daily, to MySpace. If a person really wanted to, you could literally find a quality, ready to be signed talent, on the hour, each hour of the day, for a week. That's 24 times 7, for you math geeks for a total of 168 new artists. It's a challenge I make to any industry insider that might be reading this review. Dare me to do your job for you and I promise I could not only 'improve' your artist roster for the better, but put some quality music and artists into the marketplace and off of welfare in the process. Yeah, it's boastful.., but true. This edition of SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW is going to highlight a few of the hardest working artists I know at various stages of their careers. If you're in a position to assist them, no matter how small a contribution, please do so..., they're deserving of every little honor.., especially the LOVE that's free to give, the last time I checked. Oh yeah, industry insider.., I humbly accept your offer. I really want to see all the talent of this caliber, 'make it'. It's only righteous.


Brother EDEN Douglas

New York, New York


justLISTEN


1. THE O
THEO EASTWIND - NEW YORK, NY


If I were giving out an award to the most ingenious marketing ever of an indie artist, THEO EASTWIND would win hands down. I know of many artists that have taken their music on the road and broken their acts at a grassroots level, but few have done it, literally, on the streets on a consistent basis. Theo must have a cot someplace in the subway system of NYC 'cause he's down there more than the travelers. I can't even count the number of times I seen him, heard him.. and each time I've experienced him I always think.., 'why is he still here', especially after such the incredible release of ONE (his third CD) a few years back.., 'surely he should be on his way to certain fame?' I'm beginning to suspect that this is just another 'venue' to Theo..., he always seems totally at peace, geniunely interested in being this intimate with his transient crowd and always gracious and accepting of the compliments, contributions and random purchases of his CD's. THE O is his latest release and it's extremely well-produced and has some stunning songwriting and well performed vocals much like his debut. You can follow his well documented exploits on his official site, www.TheoEastwind.com where you'll discover much press has already happened for this transplanted Austrian soul. Do experience his bio for his really heartwarming story that proves just how 'badly' he wanted his life to change after several setbacks as a young man learning some of life's most intense lessons. His presence on MySpace is a chance for those of you that don't travel the NYC subway system on a regular basis to experience him and become another intimate friend of Theo. You'll hear the depth of his talent.., and witness just what singing literally for your supper teaches you about 'performing' your original songs like they're old classics. Highlights of the release for me is CLOSE, HOME and HEAD Again, but you'll have to get the CD to hear one of those choices. It's a worthy investment in an artist that would really be appreciative. I know, he said thank you with his eyes when I stooped down and bought my copy.


2. BLACK MONEY
VINNIE JAMES - SOUTH CAROLINA


I just 'discovered' VINNIE JAMES this week and I will be first to say, 'shame on me' for not being even more plugged in to have heard this incredible artist's work, before 'his invite' to listen to his artistry. So, this review is redundant in the sense that he's got quite a following, but in the strange universe that there's another soul, like me, that didn't know of his philantrophic and political musings in some of the most provocative lyric writing I've heard (since last weeks' Derek Kehler) this week, all sang with an intensity and played with the adept skill of a troubadoor. I'm sure there's much press about his 'race' and how that plays into the marketing of his music, but in the end, .he's just really good at what he does. BLACK MONEY is a video on his page, and his bio will speak volumes of the 'who's who' that he's worked and toured with.., so just go get filled up to overflowing with the talented Vinnie James and join in the long list of fans and supporters he's garnered through hard work, preseverance and pride in his craft. While there, give a listen to HOMELESS MAN for a truly unique approach on a timeless subject.


3. ORANGE SKY
ALEXI MURDOCH - UNITED KINGDOM


Another new artist to me, but certainly not 'unknown' is ALEXI MURDOCH. His tunes have been a part of many prime times shows like Dawson's Creek, Everwood and The O.C. He's on a mini-tour promoting his new release and he's got quite a schedule to keep for the next couple of months almost working daily up and down the East Coast before heading cross country over to the West Coast. For this artist, it's really all about the music and ORANGE SKY is a truly magnificent work of art. This is songwriting at it's finest. This tune will be his signature song, I bet, for many years to come. The tone of the piece, like his voice, is reflective and honest and doesn't try to be anything, except it's own truth. You get the feeling he writes, first for himself, like he's healing his own soul, before he ever thinks of the depth of his lyrics and how they might affect another. TIME WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE is his much anticipated release and he's getting nothing but great press from it. It would appear that he's acheived what every artist strives for.., critical and commercial recognition. I don't have much in the way of bio information.., so with this artist, I'll just have to say the music is all that I have to inform me of 'who he is' and with the EP, FOUR SONGS that included ORANGE SKY, became the all time no. 1 selling artist on CDBaby, moving nearly 50,000 units of this auspicious debut. Go, listen and find out for yourself, how the old adage, 'your gift will make room for you' applies so aptly to Alexi. Remember this as model, my artist friends.., less is indeed 'more', if your heart and soul is truly represented in that humble offering.


Okay.., it's hot in NYC and I can't hold this laptop in my lap another second.., but I just wanted to say that this edition, like all the others, is a joy to release, but, namely 'cause this time around, yours truly finally has some music he's awfully proud of as well that finally answers the questions if I'm ever going to 'sing again'. There'll be some special press about it all, in time, but in the meantime, my dear friend, Mercies May has said of few incredibly nice words on my behalf that you can read, here, also in this blog on 23 June. The tune that's just the tip of melting iceberg is SAVE ME, Tonight. In many ways, it's prophetic that all of this music that I've had the pleasure of reviewing is doing exactly that, saving my sanity.. and it's my way of saying 'thanks' for allowing me to listen to you, one and all.

justBELIEVE






No comments: