Saturday, June 03, 2006

SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW .7

SMMR.jpg

There were many moments this week, I truly wanted to 'give up'. I mean the pressure, at times, was unbearable. When your 'livelihood' is threatened and you see yourself down thousands of dollars that must be paid, without delay, it's no time for little faith. I needed momentumental Faith and a firm belief that the Universe is over-whelmingly kind. I also was prohibited from 'begging' the usual suspects for assistance, as this wasn't a test of just finding money as much it was a test of just what I believed to be true about all that I teach and preach. In the end, the Universe did not fail me. I was shown a level of interest in the minutia of my life that hitherto I had not experienced. As always, there was a soundtrack to the evolution of my week and the healing of my heart and faith. Here's a few of those artists and tunes that got me through. Enjoy, like never before, this heavenly edition of SOUND MIND and MUSIC WEEK in REVIEW.


Brother EDEN Douglas

New York, New York


justLISTEN


1. DISAPPOINTED
MICAH DALTON - Atlanta, GEORGIA

This song is from Micah Dalton's new EP release, ADVANCEMENT. He's challenged us before wtih his first indie release, "THESE ARE THE ROOTS", defying us to truly locate his style, 'tho his influences shine through like the noon day sun. He's a little Marvin Gaye and James Taylor with a dash of Bill Withers sprinkled over influences of Tommy Sims and Bob Dylan. To call him a musical mutt would be kind.., and accurate, and he wears his mystique proudly. His heritage is soul, folk and gospel, finding the common spirit in all those styles while still being able to create something altogether different than the sum of those parts. DISAPPOINTED shows us a master songwriter and storyteller that explores a broken heart in a way that's ingenious. We can apply this lyric to life and this week, I drew strength from it as I realized how much of my own life seems to pale in comparison to places I've already been, people I already met and known.., and sometimes, I'm disappointed at the ordinariness of my life, today. I've been left 'disappointed' when I've only looked at the surface of things. Go, now, and take a listen to an incredible gentle giant in this sea of unsigned sea of talent.



2. GRAVITY
SHAWN McDONALD - Seattle, WASHINGTON


Have you experience pressures that affect you like GRAVITY, pulling you away from your faith 'tho you desire to be in the center of the God's Will and yet you feel constantly out of sync and off-balance? This tune sings to that very conflict and Shawn McDonald allows us a voice through his, to say to GOD that we're doing our best.., and yet that best is lacking. I found this tune at the right moment and this artist in the nick of time. There's many songs like this, but most are written in very preachy terms that often makes one want to run in the opposite direction of the advice. He just lets us peer into his soul and in that we find the courage and strength to hold on..., another day.., another hour..., another 4 minutes and 19 seconds as we listen to a man who 'cares' about the Gravity in our lives, and offers his heartfelt insight. He's got some geniune insights in his blogs, too. Pay attention to this artist. He's one of the one's 'called' for this moment in time..., and as an added bonus, give a listen, too, to I AM NOTHING..., the lyric speaks clearly as to the reasons, why.


3. I DON'T KNOW WHY
STEVE BALSAMO - Swansea, SOUTH WALES, UK

There are some songs that you can hear, once, and they stay with you forever. I DON'T KNOW WHY is written and sang beautifully by Shawn Colvin and I've been a fan of the tune since I first heard it, but when I heard Steve Balsamo's version (complete with a guest vocal appearance by Ms. Colvin), it has literally become a song I've had to listen to weekly since I originally heard it about nine months ago as I first came on board at MySpace. Steve's having a ton of success with his group, The Storys, supporting the likes of Elton John on tour, but this song and this sentiment was more than the doctored ordered as my spirit healed this week. Sometimes, we might not totally understand all that's happening, when it's happening, but I've learned to say 'thank you' in my darkest hours for I know I'm in the presence of the Spirit of Change and in the end, whatever I lose will be worth it, in order to advance to the next level. I Don't Know Why allows you to sing away your fears as Steve so eloquently interprets this now classic tune. What a humble and talented man he is, too. You're in for a treat if this is your first introduction to his beautiful tenor.


4. CHOOSE, NEW YORK JOSHUA PAYNE -Nashville, TENNESSEE


Another beautiful tenor and friend is Joshua Payne. I cannot adequately prepare you for your first experience of this incredible instrument. I remember, however, that I was listening around the internet as I'm prone to do, clicked on him and keep working..., and in the instance I heard him for the first time, I stopped to read everything I could on him. Yes, he's that good. And having had the major contract on Verve, you might think he'd be 'removed' from barring his soul as he does in his blogs.., but he's also very real. I've learned alot from his posts and I cherish him as one of those whose music touches me as much as a simple email response. This tune is my statement to the universe after my hectic week of struggles.., I CHOOSE NEW YORK is my battle cry as this city hasn't defeated me yet! What a struggle it's been to remain here.., but I'm on a mission to build this creative vision and I'm not down, anymore... not in the slightest.

Thanks, Joshua for giving me a soundtrack to my decision.




5. MORE
REDD SOUL - Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA


Just for pure inspiration, I listen to my friend, Redd Soul. He's got so much going on (about to be a father for the first time) and holding down the 9-5 while entertaining offers always to 'turn him into a star'.., while he continues to create and manage his own label and well, you get the picture. But with all of that going on, every now and then he sneeks upon me to encourage me and without knowing what was going on he posted a message to me that reminded me to 'hold on' at just the right moment. I'm blessed to have gotten this post from many as if I needed to see before my very eyes the tangible results of being an encourager to those whose paths I cross. Listen as Redd sings from his heart about love (and lovemaking) which is as close to heaven as you might can get in this realm. (But, that's a whole 'nother blog, which I'm probably no longer qualified to write about !!) His voice is strong and masculine and full of passion as he sings MORE and lyrically he reminds me to live life to it's fullest, ...to live more ...laugh more and ...love more. Now go get your groove on...



6. I LUV U
DANIEL - Hartford, CONNECTICUT

This is a new artist to me. But there's much info on his official site, http://www.thesoulofdaniel.com/ that will allow you to follow his musical journey. I'm only going to address him as a talent that deserves not only a closer look, but a deeper listen. I particuarly admire his statement in his bio that says, "I'd rather be relevant than talented, but hopefully my talent is relevant." To that end, Daniel has earned a spot in this weeks' review with I LUV U from his 2002 release, Hiphopcrisy. This tune is my praise song of the week. It's church, it's soul.., it's a little seductive and it's full of passion. I use the lyric to honor GOD and how I feel about being 'delivered' from the edge of the cliff this week. I invite you to just experience the song and use it as a template to whomever you really love, this week. Now turn it up and let it sweep you away in ever higher ecstasy.


7. LIVE OUR LIVES -
PATIENCE - Sherman Oaks, CALIFORNIA


I know this artist from the seventies although you wouldn't know just looking at that photograph that she's been in 'the business' over 30 years, now! Patience (Patti) Howard is a formidable talent whether writing, singing, producing, arranging or just being a spirtual guide.., she does it all with a measure of grace. LIVE OUR LIVES is such a fitting close to this week's journey. It encourages me to recognize that we're literally reaping what we sow at all times. So 'how we're living' directly affects our experiences as we move in and out of other's lives. A constant source of inspiration, as she, too, writes often to keep me focused and on track in this journey, her contribution to this musical week is perfectly suited lyrically for all that I've determined to do 'better' in the week's ahead. Do visit her page, listen, read and be introduced to a menagerie of artists and friends that will further enhance your musical and artistic taste. Keep a watchful eye out for LAMENTATIONS, her next release on Sky Balanced Records.



justBELIEVE



No comments: